Sunday, October 4, 2020

Homework Reading for Oct 5th-Battleground Schools

          I feel it is so true that the problematic biased assumption exists in our daily life. I can see and hear these assumptions around me. I often heard from students and parents are math-phobia, saying they are not good at math and never understand it. Sadly, once I heard an elementary teacher said math is not a useful subject except you want to be a cashier. Without a doubt, it is dangerous if those people with such assumptions make a decision on and lead mathematic education.

         I was also surprised that because of the shortage of specialist mathematical teachers, then gym teachers, science teachers, technology teachers were assigned to teach lower grade secondary level mathematics. This is not acceptable and not being professional and responsible for providing quality education for the next generation.

         Another part that made me stop is that "TIMSS support the idea that deeper conceptual understanding mathematics is the key to success in the international ranking. (p.400)" In my opinion, what the goal of mathematic education is not for competition but for training our children's logic and problem-solving skills using to improve their lives and become better beings. If the goal of mathematic is competing, then the schools will compete for whose students can solve more challenging problems in a particular grade instead of focus on education itself.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Megan,
    Thank you for sharing your thought about the article.
    I agree that lack of well educated math teachers, specially in elementary levels, is dangerous for the future of our students and will have negative impacts on students mindset and academic skills in math.
    However, I don't agree with you about math competitions. Much of life is competition and competition of any sort trains students to deal with success and failure and teaches them that e effective performance needs practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true that competitions are in our life.I mean we should not put focus on competition while we teaching.

    ReplyDelete

Revised Lesson Plan

 Here is the link to the revised lesson plan https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ztKDkHeYVCyQSZBhLKJ5cQcCEnfCoEZ9/view?usp=sharing